SharePoint - How to display stack trace error in the browser.
Here's an oldie, but a goodie!
SharePoint provides "friendly error messages", that are comparable to an inane conversation with a stranger about the weather at the bus stop.
"An unexpected error has occurred" (The plot thickens...)
Sometimes you just want to know why you can't browse to a SharePoint page, without having to root through ULS/IIS logs on the server.
To disable these custom error messages:
- On the server find the web application config in question. Usually under C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\\web.config
- Backup the web.config
- Open the xml with your favourite text editor (e.g. notepad, notepad++ etc.)
- Search for "CallStack" it should be under the node named <SafeMode
- Change the callstack attribute's value from "false" to "true"
- Search for "customErrors" and change the attribute's value from "On" to "Off"
- Save the web.config
Now when you navigate to the contentious page you should get a full stack trace and details!